Friday, October 1, 2010

Listening & Note Taking

1. For the quiz, what level listener are you, there were 3 different categories that your score could fit into, If you scored below 70 you need training in listening, if you scored between 70-90 then you listen will, and if you scored above 90 then your and extraordinarily good listener. I was a bit surprised with my results. I scored a 72. This was a bit surprising because I was just barely considered to "listen well".



2. I thought that I was a pretty good listener before taking this quiz. I see now why I may not be as good of a listener as I thought I was to begin with.



3.After learning some tips about listening/note taking, there are 5 things I can do to improve my in class listening skills: 1.) Look at the person who is talking to me- that way they know that I am actually listening, 2.) Ask questions-this way I can get a better understanding of what the speaker is trying to say, 3.) Don't interrupt- this comes off that you think that you are smarter than the person talking to you and don't have time for them, 4.) Don't assume, 5.) Repeat- restate what the speaker has told me so that I can make sure that I am understanding the correctly.

4. The approximate cost of 1 HPU lecture hour (50 minutes) for me this Fall is $69.

5. For a day that I have 3 classes, I am paying $207 for a whole day. 

6. For a whole weeks worth of classes I spend a total of $828 for all of my classes.

7. No student ever thinks " I am wasting my money by texting in class, not paying attention", rather we think "This class is SO boring, I just want to be in bed right now". The thought never occurs to us that we are the ones paying for this education and that we need to be taking advantage of every second that we have with our professors, to be asking questions, taking notes, etc. And it's hard to remember to do all of these things but I have to remind myself that class time is when I need to be serious and be focusing as much of my attention on what is going on in class.

Links Required:
http://www.d.umn.edu/kmc/student/loon/acad/strat/ss_listening.html
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~acskills/success/notes.html

No comments:

Post a Comment