Friday, September 17, 2010

Time Management & Procrastination

1. We all procrastinate, even if you don't want to admit it, you know you do to. Although some people procrastinate more than others, the fact of the matter is that we all do it. I'll admit that I have been known to procrastinate a great deal and up until this course I never really wondered why I procrastinate so much. It wasn't until after being given this blog assignment that I think I have been able to identify why it is that I procrastinate. Here are my theories of why I think I procrastinate: 1.) I like being able to brag about how I completed something at the last minute. I love getting to brag about how I was able to complete an assignment (whether it be a paper, a project, an essay.  2.)  I don't want to give up my time to do other things (even though I have plenty of other chances to earlier in the day, but choose to put them off until later, as usual).  3.) I get distracted by other things VERY easily. Because of the fact that I cannot focus whatsoever, it makes getting my work done that much more difficult. There's no problem for me to be able to identify the "reasons" I put off doing academic related tasks. The common "reasons" or excuses that I tell myself are that "I have plenty of time", "I have so much other homework to do for the classes that I'm in", "it won't take me long to do it", etc. The problem for me is to be able to get out of this rut of procrastinating and get my work done well in advance.

2. There are many ways to overcome procrastination. And I feel as if I exercised simple tasks to keep from doing it, I would be able to overcome procrastination. For instance, if I started an assignment the day that I'm given it (the first day that something is assigned) then I would be able to get some work done earlier on in the assignment deadline and have a portion of it already done. Or if I would just plan out my day...

3. In the “Overcoming Procrastination” article it stated that 90% of students procrastinate and of these students, 25% are chronic procrastinators – who usually end up dropping out of college. Although I do procrastinate a great deal I feel as though I'm not as bad as some people (or aka the chronic procrastinators). I think where I fit in to all of this is closer to the right end but not quite all the way to the right end (the left side being people who procrastinate rarely and the right side being people who procrastinate frequently). I believe that I procrastinate enough that I know that I'm not anywhere close to the left end of the spectrum, but I do know that I'm not in the middle either. Because when it comes down to completing a task/assignment on time, I can and always do, but I'm not one of those people who typically finish a project well before the due date.

4. The “Procrastination 101: Blame it on the Computer” article talked about how easy it is for college students to waste time on the computer. Which I definitely agree with. In the world today we have access to so many things through the internet that it's difficult not to be wasting too much time on the computer. I know that I am definitely wasting too much time on the computer each day. I fit into the cliche of teens that get sucked into the world of facebook and waste time. I'll get onto the computer initially planning on working on an assignment and next thing I know I'm on facebook and two hours have passed. It's beyond me how this happens and it makes me sick when I see how much time has passed from since when I said that "I'll just get on facebook real quick" and thinking of the number of hours that I spend wasting. I feel like the best way to minimize it would be to block certain websites, such as facebook, bluefly, failblog, etc. during certain parts of the day. Another way that I could minimize this is by not using my computer when I don't have to for an assignment.

Links:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se8Xncrpn24



http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/time-management/WL00048
http://www.newstime.co.za/column/JessicaDix/Examination_meet_Procrastination/96/2248/

No comments:

Post a Comment